100 years of theater
While first proposed as a community dramatic group in 1922 by high school student John W. Gafill, The Village Players was officially founded in 1923 by 16 charter members as a nonprofit theater club. Their first performance was “The Maker of Dreams,” at The Community House in downtown Birmingham, itself celebrating its centenary. The Village Players was later reorganized as a community theater and a 501(c)(3) organization. Today, located at 34660 Woodward Avenue in its own theatrical playhouse, it is the third oldest community theater in Michigan and ranks among the 50 oldest theater groups in the United States. This season, its 101st, will feature tbe plays, “Raisin In the Sun,” “Jersey Boys,” “The Mousetrap,” “The Cemetery Club,” “The Prom,” and at a special benefit event, “Miscast Cabaret.” The Village Players also hosts and Village Youth Theater.
Business Matters for the Birmingham - Bloomfield area are reported by Lisa Brody. Send items for consideration to LisaBrody@downtownpublications.com. Items should be received three weeks prior to publication.